- 1 Top 9 Best Folding Hunting Knives Reviews, Tips, And Guides
- 1.1 1. Buck Knives 110 Folding Hunter Lock-back Knife – Best Folding Knife For Deer Hunting
- 1.2 2. SOG Folding Knife Pocket Knife Trident Tactical Opening Knife – Best Serrated Folding Knife
- 1.3 3. Ontario Knife OKC Rat li Sp-Black Folding Knife – Best Folding Blade Hunting Knife
- 1.4 4. Spyderco Delica 4 Lightweight 7.15’’ Signature Folding Knife with 2.90’’ Flat-Ground Steel Blade and High Strength FRN Handle-PlainEdge Grind
- 1.5 5. Benchmade – Mini Griptilian 556 Knife, Drop-Point Blade, All Around Functionality, Made in The USA
- 1.6 6. TAC-FORCE Spring Assisted Opening EMT EMS ORANGE Rescue Folding Pocket Knife
- 1.7 7. Kershaw Cryo Pocket Knife – Best Folding Hunting Knife
- 1.8 8. Old Timer 7OT Cave Bear8.7in Stainless Steel Traditional Folding Knife with 3.9in Clip Point Blade and Sawcut Handle for Outdoor, Hunting, Camping and EDC
- 1.9 9. Elk Ridge 8’’ Wood Gentleman Spring Assisted Open Hunting Folding Pocket Knife
- 2 Why Should You Choose A Folding Knife for Hunting?
- 3 How Can You Choose The Best Folding Hunting Knife?
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4.1 Which Is The Best Folding Hunting Knife?
- 4.2 Which Is The Best Folding Hunting Knife With Gut Hook?
- 4.3 What Is The Difference Between A Folding Hunting Knife and A Fixed Blade Hunting Knife?
- 4.4 How To Clean A Folding Hunting Knife
- 4.5 Which Is The Best Folding Deer Hunting Knife?
- 4.6 Which Is The Best Small Folding Hunting Knife?
- 4.7 How To Sharpen A Folding Knife?
- 5 Conclusion
Top 9 Best Folding Hunting Knives Reviews, Tips, And Guides
Some may wonder why it is important to have a folding hunting knife. With its portability and safety, users can carry a folding knife in their pockets and open things easily within seconds. Moreover, if you are thinking about how to open a box or cans or slice fruits, there is nothing as convenient as the best folding hunting knife. When comparing between a fixed blade and a folding knife, the latter still seems better as it is more flexible. You can use it for hunting or other outdoor activities while the former needs to be left at a certain place.
As can be seen from the name of the product, a folding hunting knife is safe to be carried around thanks to a special liner lock mechanism. You can rest assured that it will not open suddenly, and if you want to close it, simply do it by hand. Not to mention, the best folding hunting knives usually come with sharp edges, so you can use them as skinning knives.
So now you know that how great it is to own a folding hunting knife, but here is another issue. If you go to a supermarket to look for a good one, chances are that you will find it confusing to pick one item among hundreds of brands. That is why we have this Top 10 Best Folding Hunting Knives Reviews In 2021 in which the best folding hunting knives are carefully selected and reviewed based on many aspects such as materials and usage. Following this, we have a buying guide and some frequently asked questions that can help clarify any doubts you may have. We hope that after reading the article, you can choose your folding hunting knife that meets your needs most.
1. Buck Knives 110 Folding Hunter Lock-back Knife – Best Folding Knife For Deer Hunting
- RAZOR SHARP CLIP POINT BLADE- 3-3/4" 420HC stainless steel clip point blade has excellent strength , edge retention and is corrosion resistant. The clip point blade has a very sharp controllable point, and is good for detail work, piercing and slicing
- STRENGTH AND SAFETY - Easy to open with a nail notch on the blade. The lock back mechanism locks the blade open for reliable strength and safety while you work. Closed Length 4-7/8" Weight 7. 2 oz.
Buck 110 Folding Hunting Knife is so famous that all hunters are familiar with it. The brand Buck Knives have its reputation for hunting knives for years. Their knives are appealing and enduring. And the product that we introduce today is among the best folding hunting knife from this brand.
To begin with, thanks to being made of high-quality 420HC Stainless Steel, the folding knife is undoubtedly corrosion-proof and rustproof. With a clip point shape and the high-grade material, you can rest assured that your knife offers the optimal strength and performance.
Just like any other folding hunting knife, this Buck Knives product is highly recommended because of its portability. There is a nail notch on the blade, so opening the knife is superb easy. The lock-back mechanism provides users with safe opening and closing. When it comes to durability, you can trust it as the knife can handle many outdoor jobs excellently.
The Crelicam Ebony handle of this folding hunting knife is worth mentioning since it adds attraction to the knife’s overall appearance. The bolsters made of high-quality brass ensures you have the optimal balance. Another great feature is the professional-grade leather sheath and a snap fastener. So you see, the manufacturer really takes your safety into serious consideration. They have cared all the aspects to make sure you are well protected when using the knife. Finally, if you are a deer hunter, then this product is perfectly made for you.
- One of the best folding hunting knives available
- Made of 420HC stainless steel
- Rustproof and corrosion-proof
- Features a special nail notch on the blade with a lock-back mechanism
- Comes with the attractive Crelicam Ebony handle and bolsters made of professional-grade brass
- Comes with an enduring leather sheath
- The handle is pretty stiff
2. SOG Folding Knife Pocket Knife Trident Tactical Opening Knife – Best Serrated Folding Knife
- 3.75 INCH AUS-8 STAINLESS STEEL KNIVES: An action-ready, sharp EDC knife, camping knife, hiking knife and survival knife with a partially serrated edge blade; measures 4.75 inches in closed length
- 3.6 OUNCES W/ GRN HANDLE: A grooved emergency knife handle lets this hunting knife and rescue knife cut cord, line or belts in-sheath; military knife with glass-reinforced nylon (GRN) offers great grip with zero upkeep
One of the best folding hunting knives is the Pocket Knife Trident Tactical Opening Knife from SOG. This is a top-rated military knife which is ideal for hunting thanks to using advanced technology that makes sure the tool has the optimal performance. The length of the knife is 3.75 inches, which is pretty compact. Made of AUS-8 stainless steel, the knife is very sturdy. When opened, the knife is 4.75 inches long and weighs only 3.6 ounces. It comes with serrated edge and a clip point shape, so you can pierce things easily.
The best folding hunting knife is also equipped with a professional-grade SOG’s Groove handle. There is a tiny blade inside the handle that can be used for cutting fish line or cord while you do not need to open the blade. Not to mention, the handle offers users outstanding grip and balance due to being made of military-grade glass-reinforced nylon. Moreover, the knife has a simple and secure locking system, using SOG Assisted Technology (or S.A.T).
Campers, hikers, adventurers and outdoor travelers will find this knife the ideal tool. With its bayonet style clip, whether you are left-handed or right-handed, you can still carry the knife without much effort. This folding hunting knife is definitely a wise investment.
- Military knife for the best performance
- Made of AUS-8 stainless steel
- Comes with a glass-reinforced nylon handle
- The Groove handle includes a tiny blade, making you free from opening the main blade
- Simple secure opening and locking system
- The blade is quite small
3. Ontario Knife OKC Rat li Sp-Black Folding Knife – Best Folding Blade Hunting Knife
- secure: the ambidextrous handle features textured black nylon 6 scales with an open-built steel linerlock frame
- comfortable: the rat-2 knife is a handheld size designed for comfort and performance making it ideal for everyday carry
Ontario Knife Company has been manufacturing knives, cutlery and other tools since 1889, so needless to say their products have a competitive place in the market. This OKC Rat li Sp-Black hunting folding knife from the manufacturer Ontario Knife Company is one of the best folding knives that you can find in the market with many outstanding features.
To begin with, it is 7 inches long, which is enough to be carried anywhere. Made of 3-inch AUS-8 stainless steel, the blade is sturdy and provides users with the best performance. When it comes to the weight, the product is only 2.75 ounces, very compact. Therefore, you can use the knife for many outdoor activities including camping, fishing, biking and hunting. Its drop point design enables you to handle any jobs immediately once the knife is opened while the satin-finished blade offers both an appealing look and the ability to resist rust and corrosion.
This best folding hunting knife comes with a textured black ergonomic nylon handle, giving you the comfortable feeling when using it. In addition, the handle has top-grade dual thumb studs, so you can carry the knife in many ways. When it comes to secure opening and closing, there is a sturdy and smooth liner lock deployment closing system, which protects you from any injury. Finally, the ultra-thin blade of 0.095’’ is a great assistant when handling peeling or skinning. If you knife gets dull, you can simply restore its sharpness using a sharpening stone. So, what are you waiting for? This little tool is definitely a good bet.
- Made by Ontario Knife Company, an American manufacturer
- Features ultra-thin and full flat blade
- Made of AUS-8 stainless steel with a drop point design
- Ideal size and can be sharpened with ease
- Many thumb studs with liner lock
- Some customers say that the handle is quite tough
4. Spyderco Delica 4 Lightweight 7.15’’ Signature Folding Knife with 2.90’’ Flat-Ground Steel Blade and High Strength FRN Handle-PlainEdge Grind
- WIDE SPECTRUM OF HANDLE COLORS - The Delica 4 now offers new vibrant tones including blue, green, brown, gray, orange, zome green, black and purple.
- SUPERIOR BLADE STEEL - The blades are full flat-ground VG-10 Steel with a thinner highly refined cutting edge and a larger 13mm opening hole.
One of the most compact folding hunting knife is this Spyderco Delica knife. It is lighter and more compact than other competitors are. With the brand Spyderco, this best folding hunting knife promises not to help you in hunting but also handles perfectly for home use.
The blade of the knife is made of high-grade VG-10 stainless steel. Despite its small size, the product offers an excellent cutting power. Its design with flat bevel edge makes the knife superb lightweight. Regarding the locking system, this knife has no push button, so you have to open it by hand. While opening it, remember there is a hole at the back of the blade.
Another feature that makes this best folding hunting knife extremely lightweight is its handle, which is made of fiberglass reinforced nylon (known as FRN). Therefore, you can have a firm and pleasant grip. In addition, the handle comes in bi-directional texture and reinforced nylon. You can use the tool with one hand thanks to the one-hand opening feature. Furthermore, the product comes with a clip that enables you to carry it in your pocket or belt comfortably and easily. Finally, there are many colors and price options for your choice.
- Made of VG-10 stainless steel
- Adequate weight ensures perfect balance
- Comes with fiberglass reinforced nylon handle
- Comes with an ultra-sharp blade together with a functional pocket clip
- Comes in many colors
- There is not better push button for opening the blade
5. Benchmade – Mini Griptilian 556 Knife, Drop-Point Blade, All Around Functionality, Made in The USA
- HIGH-QUALITY: The 154CM stainless steel blade is tough, rust resistant, and holds an edge well. The glass-filled nylon handle is tough yet attractive, making it ideal for hard jobs and everyday carry.
- WELL-DESIGNED: Benchmade's AXIS lock is exceptionally strong and fully ambidextrous. The Mini Griptilian 556 is a manual knife that can be opened and closed single-handedly.
The next best folding hunting knife is from Benchmade, a USA company that is renowned for its high quality hunting knives. This Mini Griptilian 556 is the best representative of the company. As the knife is serrated edge, you can use it to skin deer. Besides, the knife comes with a drop point blade made of American 154CM stainless steel. This means that it is corrosion-proof and thus gives you the best performance. With the drop point blade, it can be used once you open the knife. This is a big plus.
The blade is 2.91 inches long. The overall length of the knife is 6.78 inches while its weight is comparatively light, only 2.5 ounces. Therefore, you can take this knife almost everywhere with ease. This best folding hunting knife comes with a Grivory handle that provides users with a firm grip. Furthermore, the handle is made of glass-filled nylon, which can be used for a long time. Regarding its opening, Axis Locking Mechanism built in this knife makes sure you open it safely and smoothly.
Finally, it is the versatility that makes the knife stand out. Not only can it be used as a hunting knife, it can also act as a pocket knife. With such excellent features, the knife is a valuable bet.
- Small-sized and easy for carrying
- Made of American 154CM stainless steel
- Corrosion-proof with a drop point blade
- Comes with a pleasant and enduring Grivory handle
- Built in AXIS locking mechanism, offering flexible carrying options
- Comes in multiple colors and design
- The size of the knife is quite small
6. TAC-FORCE Spring Assisted Opening EMT EMS ORANGE Rescue Folding Pocket Knife
- Snake Eye Tactical Spring Assist Knife
- 3.25" 3MM THICK BLADE, STAINLESS STEEL
For those on a tight budget, this folding hunting knife from TAC Force is definitely a good choice. Despite its affordable price, this best folding hunting knife has many outstanding features. First of all, the superb sharp folding hunting knife is made of high-grade 440 stainless steel. Therefore, you can rest assured the knife is rustproof and has a long-lasting performance.
The length of the knife is 3.25 inches while its thickness is 3mm. Moreover, the knife is a serrated edge. These features contribute to the portability of this folding knife. You can use it for multiple purposes besides its original use as a hunting knife. Not to mention, the knife can be easily put in a jeans pocket.
Another interesting feature is the black and orange aluminum handle that provides users with the most comfortable grip. In addition, the handle helps the knife keep balance professionally. There is a superb fast spring assisted blade opening characteristic, but you should also be careful with this feature. Finally, the set comes with a glass breaker, a pocket clip an belt cutter.
- Placed in an elegant gift box
- Rustproof with serrated edge
- Made of high-grade 440 stainless steel
- Offers comfortable grip
- Includes a glass breaker, belt cutter, and pocket clip
- Comes at an extremely affordable price
- The serrated edge is not easy to sharpen
7. Kershaw Cryo Pocket Knife – Best Folding Hunting Knife
The pocket knife from Kershaw attracts attention at the first sight due to its considerably reasonable price. So far this best folding hunting knife receives positive feedback from over three thousand customers, which shows that how popular it is. You may wonder why. Here are some hidden secrets of this knife.
Firstly, the knife is made using precision-engineered technology of Kershaw. This makes sure you have the optimal performance and highest durability. Made of Chinese 8Cr13MoV stainless steel, the knife is comparatively sharp and can resist corrosion and wear very well. Besides, the steel is a combination of carbon and a little nickel for the highest level of hardness and edge retention. For those who love stylish objects, this knife has an appealing sleek gray look thanks to titanium carbo-nitride.
You may think that the knife is relatively small, yet it can support you with many cutting jobs. For example, you can use it to cut nylon, even heavy-duty one, or you can cut wood into slices when going outdoors. If you are worried about getting hurt when using a knife, this knife is the best choice for you. It uses Speedsafe technology that prevents your knife close in a sudden.
When it comes to the blade, it is 2.75 inches long, enough for any hand. Besides, the handle is made of stainless steel and comes with a few black screws, offering you the optimal durability. The 4-position pocketclip is very versatile, enabling you to carry both two sides. It is noticed that if you use the pocketclip properly, the safety and efficiency of the product will be enhanced. Whether you are hikers, hunters, explorers or backpackers, this small yet effective tool should not go amiss.
- Well designed to meet the demands of all professionals
- One of the best folding hunting knives available
- Made of Chinese 8Cr13MoV stainless steel
- Resists corrosion and wear
- Comes in drop point edge design
- There are 4 options of carrying
- Comes with curved handle made of stainless steel
- The handle is not covered with rubber
8. Old Timer 7OT Cave Bear8.7in Stainless Steel Traditional Folding Knife with 3.9in Clip Point Blade and Sawcut Handle for Outdoor, Hunting, Camping and EDC
- DIMENSIONS: 8.7 inch (22.1 cm) overall length with a blade length of 3.9 inches (9.9 cm) and a weight of 6.8 ounces
- DURABLE: Blade is made of reliable 7Cr17MoV High Carbon S.S. with a saw cut handle
For those who are interested in a large folding hunting knife, this Old Timer folding knife is undoubtedly the ideal choice. With the blade that is 3.9 inches long and weighs 6.8 ounces, this best folding hunting knife can be used for multiple purposes such as hunting, camping and other outdoor activities.
Made of 7Cr17MoV High Carbon, the blade of this knife is ultra-sharp, enabling users to deal with many tough tasks. Not to mention, the clip point design offers an appealing appearance. Looking at the sawcut handle of the knife, you can easily see that it fits any hand thanks to its structure.
Moreover, the handle is made of brass pins and the nickel silver bolsters, both of which provide you with the strength and durability. And needless to say, the performance is exceptionally good. As for protection and safety, the knife comes in brown leather belt sheath and lockback blade feature that can give you an easy opening and closing.
A final note about the knife is the brand Old Timer is a well-known manufacturer, so if you are a fan of traditional items, this large folding knife is definitely for you.
- Made of 7Cr17MoV high carbon steel
- Comes with nice and enduring sawcut handle
- Features nickel silver bolsters
- Comes with clip point blade with nail pull feature
- Includes brown leather belt sheath with Lockback blade feature
- The lock mechanism is not very satisfactory
9. Elk Ridge 8’’ Wood Gentleman Spring Assisted Open Hunting Folding Pocket Knife
- 4.75" CLOSED
- 3.5" SATIN FINISHED STAINLESS STEEL BLADE
For those who are keen on deer hunting, Elk Ridge is a very familiar name as the brand offers a variety of small and large skinning and deer gutting knives. This Wood Gentleman Knife is listed in the list of the best folding hunting knives because of many reasons. To begin with, the blade is made of a high quality material – stainless steel which makes it free from corrosion and rust. Moreover, with the length of 3.5 inches and a satin finish, the blade looks very attractive. Not to mention, there is a drop point design crafted with the official Elk Ridge logo to give the knife eye appeal.
When it comes to the handle, it is made of authentic Pakkawood, so once you take it out of your pocket, it attracts your friends or relatives immediately. Moreover, because of the material, you can hold the knife comfortably and move it in any direction as you want. Furthermore, the handle’s screws make sure you can chop heavy wood or similar heavy-duty jobs with ease. Regarding the ease of carrying the item, the knife comes with a 1.2mm thick loner and pocket clip so that you can carry it anywhere easily.
Those on a tight budget may find this best folding hunting knife the best option. Also, it can be used as a wonderful gift to your friends or relatives on any occasions.
- Famous for high level of durability
- Handles heavy-duty jobs with ease
- Comes with satin-finished blade made of stainless steel
- Comes with 3mm thick plain blade with a drop point
- Pakkawood handle
- Liner lock and pocket clip for easy carrying
- Ideal present for friends and family members
- Some find it heavy due to the wooden handle
Why Should You Choose A Folding Knife for Hunting?
There are many reasons why a folding knife is a better alternative to a fixed blade. Firstly, it is portable and user-friendly. Moreover, you can replace the blade when it gets dull, so you do not worry about sharpening it. Think about how important it is when you go hunting and need something to skin. A folding hunting knife can support you with such tasks on the spot, especially those that come with a drop point blade.
When it comes to the weight and length, a folding hunting knife is lightweight and compact enough for you to put it in your pocket. Finally, this multifunctional tool does not only help you with hunting but also works as a perfect helper when you go fishing or camping.
How Can You Choose The Best Folding Hunting Knife?
If you want to find the best folding hunting knife, it is better to start with the main factors in creating a folding knife. Here are some main features of a folding hunting knife that you should take into account before making the final decision on buying one
There are many materials for a blade of a folding hunting knife. Some of them include high carbon, tool steels, CMP Steel and Stainless Steel. However, the highest quality should be stainless steel as it makes your knife completely rustproof and corrosion-proof. Not to mention, a knife with a stainless steel blade can have the optimal performance.
Blade Type / Design
There are two types of blades regarding folding hunting knives: drop points and clip points. If you intend to use your knife for skinning, then you should go for a drop point blade as it works well with skinning jobs.
A knife handle is important as it makes sure your knife have a good balance. By that I mean, if your knife has a good handle, you can grip the knife comfortably. For those who love fashion, a wooden handle is a good choice since it makes your knife look more attractive. However, you should be careful with wooden handles. They cannot stay long in water. Another good option is a handle made of rubber. The comfort of the grip is just equal but the material protects your knife from being damaged.
It is obvious that you should consider safety when using a knife, especially a folding knife. Otherwise, you may get hurt accidentally. Therefore, you should look for knives with a secure opening and closing feature.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which Is The Best Folding Hunting Knife?
It is tricky to name one product the best folding hunting knife as there are too far many excellent items on the market. However, if I have to choose, I will go for Buck 110 and Elk Ridge Wood Gentleman Folding Knives. These are praised for their portability, lightness and safety.
For those who are interested in skinning or field dressing, Gerber Vital Folding Knife is a more appropriate choice. This knife has a superb sharpness.
Which Is The Best Folding Hunting Knife With Gut Hook?
A folding knife with gut hook is difficult to find in the market. In general, a standard folding hunting knife comes with a clip point and drop point blade. However, if you would like to have a knife with gut hook, you can go for a fixed blade knife.
What Is The Difference Between A Folding Hunting Knife and A Fixed Blade Hunting Knife?
The main difference between a folding hunting knife and a fixed blade one is portability. While a fixed blade is sturdy and long, you cannot fold it. This means that you cannot carry the knife around. A folding knife, in contrast, is portable and small, so those who need a knife for outdoor activities should go for a folding knife.
How To Clean A Folding Hunting Knife
There are some easy steps to clean a folding hunting knife. First, the knife should be cleaned from blood before being washed with hot water and detergent. Nevertheless, some folding hunting knives can be washed by dishwasher. Choosing such a knife can free you from washing the knife by hand. One thing you should remember is using knife oil after handling things with your knife. The oil can make your knife rustproof.
Which Is The Best Folding Deer Hunting Knife?
Buck Knives 011BRS, Benchmade – Mini Griptilian 556 or Gerber Vital Pocket Folding Knife are the most popular when it comes to the best folding deer hunting knife. These come with clip point blades, so skinning will be an easy task.
Which Is The Best Small Folding Hunting Knife?
Although on average a folding hunting knife is smaller than a fixed blade one, not every folding knife has the same length. A knife that has the length of 4 inches when closed is the best one for your pocket. Benchmade – Mini Griptilian 556 and Spyderco Delica 4 flat ground folding knife are the best ones.
How To Sharpen A Folding Knife?
In comparison with a fixed blade, a folding hunting knife is quite hard to sharpen. That does not mean you cannot sharpen it with ease. In fact, all you need is simply a whetstone, then your dull knife can restore its sharpness. If working on with a whetstone is challenging for you, go for a portable pocket knife sharpener.
For hunting enthusiast, a folding hunting knife is an ideal choice. It can safely stay in your pocket no matter where you are. Moreover, if you want to skin the deer, this knife should not go amiss. A portable knife is also versatile as you can use it for many purposes other than skinning. However, there are so many folding hunting knives available in the market that it is hard to find the best one. After reading this article, we hope that you have made your own decision on buying the best folding hunting knife that can meet your needs.
You can view more on this YOUTUBE VIDEO